Where to buy Shrimp while on Kiawah Island

Here are some recommendations on where to buy good local shrimp while on Kiawah Island or Seabrook Island.

"My disclaimer is that I have spent a career in the Food Service Business and am a culinary graduate.

Crosby's on route 17 (392 Spring Street) is my absolute favorite.  New buyers must understand is that there is nothing retail about this place.  It is the very last shop that sells to the public in the original Crosby's chain.  I have only dealt with three people, a couple of senior women who have worked at this location forever and have told me that when they die I'll have to shop someplace else. The 
young boy who usually waits on me is very special particularly if you talk with him about music or films which are his dream future avocations.  I understand that there is another fish cutter in the 
back at times but I have never seen him.  The display isn't set out until the place is open and then just a few pieces of the types of fresh fish that will be available that day are laid out.  One or two more pieces are freshly cut and laid out when one is sold. (There is also a freezer with some delightful choices such as shrimp, shark and crab meat)  You get wholesale prices.  I enjoy going to Newton Farms and comparing prices which are at least 25% less expensive. Since the company is primarily wholesale (Kiawah, McGrady's,Cypress,Amens etc.) some of the exotic choices such as my very favorite Trigger Fish and Wreck Fish don't come in until 2 or 3 PM and aren't available in the 
morning because the restaurant orders come first.  But there is virtually always some variety that I have never heard of such as an unbelievable pink salmon and even with my so called credentials that I don't know how to cook.  The young man will gladly tell me what he suggests. (Very fresh fish cooks much faster than even next day fish)

The key to choosing a place to purchase or eat fresh fish is that you can't smell any fish odor.  I will not purchase fish in a restaurant or store where I am able to smell the fish. (even if it's not the fish 
dish I plan to order)

The location is convenient for me because whenever I visit MUSC I cook fish that evening.  My guests are most often my food service colleagues so I make an occasional separate trip because I always serve local fish to out of town guests.  It is just on the other side of the bridge going to the crossover. If you take keep on 17 over the bridge you will go past the shop, just make U turn at the Wendy's stay to the right and it's the very last store before you go across the river.  It's adjacent to the Marriott Hotel. You can call the shop and tell hem if you want a special fish and if I make it a strong point that I must have Trigger Fish, for example and they will try to get it for me.  The way I find out what's local that day is to call Amens or McGrady's and ask them if it's on the menu."

"We go to Crosby's on 17 in Charleston regularly.  The trick is, don't plan what you want ahead.  Just go in and buy what looks good.  They often have really good, fresh grouper or snapper.  The shrimp is always good as a fall back.

Freshfield does have good shrimp in a pinch, but expensive.  Their tilapia is usually good and reasonable priced, but other than that their fish usually
looks old."

"Crosby's Seafood at  Folly Beach."  "see...more reasons to go to folly beach..."

"I agree with Crosby's near Folly Beach.  They usually have wonderful local clams and the seafood is fresh.  I was not happy with their location on 17 as it crosses the Charleston peninsula.  Also consider Harris Teeter on Folly Rd.  Probably not local but it seems fresh."

"
Cherry Point Seafood on Wadmalaw is great for shrimp right off the boat.  Rosebank Farms sells local shrimp, grouper, flounder, and tuna from the ice chests near the check out stand. Also, I have found excellent seafood (local and otherwise) at the fish department in Earth Fare supermarket, in the
Windemere Shopping Center on James Island."

"Crosby's Seafood at Folly Beach."

"We have bought shrimp several times at the little shrimp hut on the side of the street on Savanah Hwy.  When you get to the corner of Main Road and Savanah Hwy turn left and it is a couple miles on the left.  It actually looks like a little shrimp Hut building all by itself.  Always good shrimp at a good price."
Here is an interesting video of a small shrimp boat off of Kiawah Island.

Comments